04 February 2007

I didn't get a good night's sleep, waking up before dawn for the second day in a row. I met some friends for breakfast at the Nautilus Diner while Emily slept. I did a little shopping, and arrived home just as Emily's Dad came to bring her to his house. He's having a Super Bowl party and she'll have a lot more fun watching it on his big screen TV than with a non-football Mom. After a while, I started to not feel well; I had a lack-of-sleep headache. I thought I'd take a walk and shoot some pictures as it was a brilliantly sunny day. There's a wetlands area around the corner from my house that has walkways and viewing shelters. There used to be many, many trees before the beavers moved in. Little by little, they cut down the trees. It was really sad, but nothing could be done about it. It was nature. Finally, it stopped, although I don't know how. Did someone get rid of them? That was a few years ago. Imagine my surprise when I saw tree after tree newly cut down or in the process. The beavers are back. It was a freezing day, and there was a thin and brittle coat of ice on the water's surface. I actually had to run a little on my way home I was so cold. I hope people thought I was athletic and just getting my afternoon exercise!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Nature has a way of limiting growth and expansion... Recently we had a tree down on our cottage because of beavers... Can't get mad at nature I suppose. Have a great day :-)

Amanda said...

Sounds like the beavers need a few more natural enemies. ;) It's dreadfully cold today too, I wouldn't mind, but yesterday it was about 30 degrees warmer. Those sudden dips are awful.

Kristen said...

It is currently 5 degrees here in Cleveland. It feels like the weather I was used to in Northern New York! Lots of beaver problems there, also. Farmers had a tough time when their fields were flooded.

Thanks again for the photos and music.

Billy said...

I am feeling the cold as well. It was a balmy 34 degrees here in Kansas. Where art thou spring?

Post a Comment

I love comments!