28 September 2009

Monday, my Sunday (a recycled title)

I feel so lazy when I sit on the couch. I get that from my mother -- she hardly ever sat down. She worked, mowed the lawn, shoveled the snow, did the bills, cooked all the meals, and kept a spotless house. My house isn't spotless, but it is always neat. My mother was compelled to be busy. She felt that way right up till the time she had her massive stroke. That's one of the things that made it so bad. She went from being busy and totally self-sufficient to someone who needed others to do all the things she used to do. For years after the stroke it was especially hard on the family. As soon as anyone walked in the door she'd say something like, 'I have 4 things I want you to do'. We got to hating that. No hello, how are you, just, can you do this and that? I see this post is taking on a life of it's own. The things she wanted done weren't big; they were the things she would have done but couldn't anymore. Like sweep the garage. Or sweep the porch or patio. I don't sweep my own garage (hardly), porch or patio. I don't have every towel in the linen closet folded and stacked just so. We understood my mother, but...nobody wanted to do it. It got much better once my parents hired Jess to be her aide. Jess does all the little things that my mother wants done, plus she's great company for her. Jess is engaged to my nephew, and she's like a daughter to my mother. A daughter who gets paid.

Anyway, it's a gorgeous day and I'll be going out to mow the lawn and clean up the garden a little more. I've been staying ahead with that, so I don't have too much to do. I just want to spend time outside. The sky is completely clear and a beautiful blue.

Emily and I spent a while in Annapolis yesterday, sitting on the dock in sight of our car with an unpaid meter, watching people and the sky. We felt so lucky to find a great parking space only to see it was a 30 minute one. So we hung out there. She sat while I walked across the street to Starbucks. I sat while she got ice cream.


We finally put money in the meter and walked to the far side of the pier. I was so proud to see my daughter following in my 'footsteps' with feet pictures.


It was an amazing sky day. If you know me you know how amazed I am with blue skies and big clouds. It looked like a huge storm was coming, but just from one direction.



This was the view from the other direction.



It only sprinkled, much to our amazement. Then the sky filled with amazing white clouds set against a brilliant blue sky. And it got cool.

I'm getting up. I have a lot more I could say (especially fueled by coffee), but I've been on the couch too long and I feel like the day is passing me by.

Happy Monday!

9 comments:

happyone said...

I took pictures of the clouds yesterday too - didn't post any though.
Enjoy your yard work and being outside. It is a bit windy out there today.

Brad said...

You two looks so dang cute. Being an adult child who always has a chore list waiting at Mom's, I can relate - it must be tougher on your Mom though, not being able to dp for herself. We'll all get there eventually - and on that cherry note...I hope your having fun outside - wish I was with you!

Golden To Silver Val said...

Hard to believe that summer is over, isn't it? You are wise to take advantage of each nice day and Brad is right....you two look so cute together!! Thinking of your mom....I know how she feels about some of it...I hate it that there are a lot of things I can no longer do because of my age and arthritis. Its so frustrating.

KathyA said...

Don't you just love hanging out in Annapolis??
It's great your mom now has Jess.

Lena said...

Thanks for your honesty about how hard it is to go over and get "the list". Going through the same thing now.

Nice they have Jess!

That is funny about the feet pictures.

Jamie said...

You know, I live in fear of being unable to do for myself, just like your mom. It most likely won't be because of a stroke for me, it will be because of my back but the end result would be disastrous either way. I would be just like your mom. Just recently I am dealing with back pain and being unable to move and it sucks so bad...and I have a list of things that need done, too. Ugh...thank you for showing me that I need to figure out a way to stay mobile.

You and Em are so cute!

Happy Tuesday to me, Monday to you!

Hugs, friend. :)

Yolanda said...

I enjoyed the storm photos.I have never heard of clash day.

Summer said...

I haven't been to Annapolis in years. I should go, it's so beautiful there.

Lynx217 said...

Has she gotten taller over the last few months cause it sure looks like it! Either that or... well, nevermind. You two look like you had fun.

Post a Comment

I love comments!