12 January 2009

I'm tired

It's before 8:00, but I could put on my pajamas right now and go to bed. A little while ago Emily asked if I'd take her to the mall to buy make-up. I looked at her like she was crazy.

I made an appointment this morning with an orthopedic doctor. I didn't want to, because of course it will be all better as soon as I see him. I told the receptionist I thought it was something vascular. Like I'd know. Now most of the discomfort is behind my knee. It started out on top, and sometimes it's on the sides. So, who knows?

I made myself go to the pool today. I'm starting to feel like a Shar-pei after so long with no exercise and all the holiday/post-holiday eating I've been doing. My favorite strokes, the breaststroke and the elementary backstroke, bother my knee. The freestyle stroke doesn't, but I've never had the stamina for it. I found that alternating one length of freestyle with one of the others was tolerable. I was actually impressed that I could swim what amounted to 18 laps of freestyle. I didn't know I had it in me. My knee feels none the worse. I think all the swimming is what has me so tired now. I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

I drove out to visit my mother afterward. I was inspired by Mo's challenge to do a random act of kindness, but I modified it for someone I know instead of a stranger. I knew how much my visit would mean to my mom. She's pretty much stuck in the house, and has to rely on others to take her for outings. My sister Lisa takes her out more than anyone. Thank you Lisa. Before her stroke she was just like me...boundless energy and always on the go. What the stroke has done to her life really is sad and a shame. My dad does his own thing...shopping, going to the bank, Atlantic City, etc. They always did their own, separate things. Now my mom is stuck. Anyway, she and I went out to eat at Sticky Fingers for lunch. I had ribs and she had salmon. I used a nifty new app on my iPhone to calculate the tip. Just saying. I clipped and filed my mom's nails when we got back, a job I don't like. I made her a salad for dinner. My dad was watching Season 1 of LOST on his little kitchen TV. A Blu-ray DVD, no less. Not on his 52" Samsung top-of-the-line TV in the living room that has a Blu-ray player. They have the whole Bose surround sound speaker system too. Nice set-up. I asked my mom if she watches DVD's on the big TV. Nope. She doesn't know how to use it. I've written down the directions for them before, but I guess I'll have to do it again.

I'm embarassed to say I made Chicken Helper fried rice for dinner. You know...from the Hamburger Helper people? A complete waste of a pound of boneless chicken breasts. What was I thinking? I ate mine, but Emily wouldn't. I picked out the chicken to use in my salads and put the rest down the garbage disposal.

We finally put the tree in it's box in the basement. Now there's a big empty place in the living room. I need some furniture.

My little tomato babies are coming along. I've pruned them so there's one plant growing in each pod. They're starting to get real leaves. I'll post pictures from time to time.

Little Sprouts


Big Sprout



Oh, I meant to write about Doubt since a few people asked. The movie was really a great character study. Meryl Streep played a very unlikeable person. She suspected the priest of wrong-doing, and based upon that, she was determined to destroy his position in the church. She had no proof. A young nun was caught in the middle, not knowing who to believe. The movie left you pondering the ramifications of acting on doubt. How's that for a quick review?

Over and out for today!

6 comments:

Moohaa said...

I'm sorry your knee is hurting! You were brave to get out and swim anyway. Though swimming is the best exercise for most injuries as you're not impacting it in any way. I sure hope you feel better soon. I did go to bed around 8pm last night! That was weird, but I slept all the way through.
Doubt looked good, intense, but good.

Take care!

KathyA said...

Glad you're back at the pool. Sorry about the pain in the knee. You're a good daughter, Cheryl.
I worked out today, too. I should have gone to bed about two hours ago (but it was only 7:00!). I'm beat.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Coping with elderly parents is a challenge that I can relate to. It is such a balancing act of helping them but allowing them the dignity of remaining independent. Unfortunately, my mom (88 years old) is very dependent and I don't cope well with that, I'm afraid.

Hope you will continue to mend well.

happyone said...

You are such a nice daughter!!
The movie sounds good.
I'm at the old house for a bit now to read a few blogs. I'm off to the commissary now.
Have a great day.

Brad said...

I hope your right, as soon as it's time to go to the Doc's things will get better. I needed a reminder to go spend time with my Mom - I tend to fly through there when she needs something but don't sit and visit enough - thanks for the reminder!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad you're getting your knee checked.

It was good of you to go be with your mom.

Post a Comment

I love comments!