19 April 2009

Something for Sunday when it's almost Monday

Yesterday found me at Border's, as usual. I had two lattes. Living large, huh? Read good magazines and took notes in my little Moleskine with new iPhone apps or cool websites to visit. I came home for a while then left again to get a veggie burrito from Baja Fresh that I ate outdoors in front of Starbucks while cruising the web. It was a gorgeous night.

I walked this morning. It was great to be outside on a beautiful spring morning. I'm way out of shape, though. It was a start. I'm thinking I'll like walking now that the weather is getting better. I hope.

Today was book club. The book was Love in the Time of Cholera. I read maybe 30 pages. I just couldn't do it. The food theme was tapas. Little dishes. At first I stressed, then came up with a great idea. I don't know why it popped into my mind, but it did. I've talked about how I love a particular salad at Mimi's Cafe. I've never bought Belgium Endive, but I thought of how the separated leaves looked like little boats, and that I could recreate the salad in these leaves. So, here's a picture. I tore a fancy lettuce blend into little pieces and put it in the endive. Then added pistachios, Craisens, chicken, strawberries and feta, and sprinkled the boats with home-made balsamic vinaigrette. Easy to pick up and eat in two bites. This one's a keeper.


All of the food was delicious, as usual.


Only 3-4 people read the book. Most started but couldn't finish. I was relieved that it wasn't just me. The next book is The Book Thief by Marcuz Zusak. It's been on my list of books to read, so that worked out. I'm the next book-chooser. What will it be?

I have a 10:00 appointment tomorrow at the Apple Store. Somehow I deleted all the contacts in my iPhone. That's bad! So I'll bring my laptop with me and hope for the best. Should be interesting. I'll pick my mom up first and afterward we'll go out to lunch. It's what we do.

I'm up way too late. Till the next time, ado.

11 comments:

Jamie said...

You are just so...creative. That salad looks awesome. I would love to be a part of a book club. Perhaps something to think about.

Happy Day off for you!

Hugs.

happyone said...

Oh your little salad boats look delicious!! Nice and colorful too.

My Husbands Sweethearts by Bridget Asher I think would make a great book for your book club.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

that looks awesome! What is belgium endive? Is that the lettuce or something you put into the lettuce? ANd what type of lettuce is that if it's not belgium endive? I'm not good with food!

Your pictures are making me hungry! Is that chocolate I see in between the eggs and your colorful appetizer?


Hope you enjoyed your walk..it's so peaceful and don't you just feel so good and happy when you get home?

Lena said...

Those little salad boats are so cute! I bet they were yummy.

Book club sounds like such a great idea and if no one likes the book, you still are able to get together and socialize and eat great food!

Good luck with your I-Phone.

KathyA said...

Wow! The food looks fantastic!!! Our book club is meeting on Thursday night at Coho's. It's the first time we'll not be meeting at someone's house.
I wanted to take photos of the food for yesterday's party AND I FORGOT!! Damn.

Brad said...

Great recipe idea. Isn't it a great feeling when you come up with your own!

And thanks for the book non-recommend. I've been thinking about reading "Life in the time of..." but now I think I'll take a pass on that one. The reading list is long enough as it is.

Seth M. Ward said...

Yeah that salad looks way to good. I am going to have to copy that and try it next time I am off the road.....Thanks for the comment btw. You're not missing anything inside of a big truck. We live very enclosed lives, cut off from the outside world.....just like prisoners in away......Alot of Truck Drivers are ex cons, so it's easy for them to handle the long hours/days/weeks/months away from anyone or anything of value......it's honestly a shame to see how truck drivers and framers, who I consider to be the true back bone of our country treated the way they are. Thanks though for the comment. I enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

Jamie said...

You are becoming like me...a post every few days...are you uninspired or just too busy?

I miss your posts.

Hugs and Happy Humpday.

:)

beachgirl said...

Yummy

Billy said...

Wow! That looks absolutely fantastic. Yummy!

Rick Rockhill said...

Oh my gosh that food looks so tempting!

Post a Comment

I love comments!