10 June 2008

I've got just a couple of minutes to post before leaving for some errands and then work. Where the AC is turned really low and sometimes you're too cold. What a concept.

Today is trash, recycling and yard waste day. My favorite day of the week to walk so I can be nosy and see what people leave out for pick-up. One thing I saw a lot of were empty box fan boxes. This heat wave is killing us! Recycling is very easy in my neighborhood. They provide a container, and if you ever need to replace it or get an additional one, they're free at the county landfill, which is close-by. You don't have to sort anything, just throw it all in together. They take plastic, glass, any kind of paper, metal, and cardboard. Today I walked through town house developments. So few people recycle. You can see all the paper and plastic showing through their white garbage bags. What's up with that? It makes me mad. Also, I think I only saw one house with yard waste. All you do for that is put masking tape X on the bag. How can all the single family homes have multiple bags out, and not the townhouses? Almost everyone in my cul-de-sac has yard waste outside. It got me thinking about herd mentality. And why it's good to walk on Tuesdays.

10 comments:

Mary said...

Good news that your house is cool.

The heat is bad here, too. In addition, the humidity is smothering. We are having typical late August early September weather. I shudder to think what will happen late in the summer.

Recycle is the name of the game here. Not everyone does it but we, who do, contribute what we can.

bonnie said...

Amen, Cheryl. I get this weird compulsive pleasure from leaning out my kitchen door to the garage and throwing my recylbles into their containers. It's so easy. I don't understand the laziness factor either. At this point I would feel guilty.

Brad said...

Boy the City here is a bit tougher. If they think you have to many recycables in your garbage they won't take your garbage! They also are talking about taxing paper and plastic shopping bags to get people to bring canvas ones with them.

fiwa said...

What Brad said. Most everyone recycles here. And the latest thing Seattle is talking about doing is outlawing bottled water.

I'm so glad you have cold air!!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

I'll have you know that I am the proudest damn recycler on my street.

Anonymous said...

We faithfully recycle at our house, and we do not subscribe to the herd mentality!

Anonymous said...

Wow, we have to pay for our recycling/yard waste/garbage bins!!! Other then that, it's agreeable.

Hope you have been well! I miss coming here regularly!

-Prx

Mo said...

Pfft. People who have recycling options readily available and don't take advantage irk me.

I, thankfully, can take my stuff over to my BF's to recycle or she picks it up on her way home.

I'd be in heaven on earth if it was right out my front door.

Mo said...

Oh and I don't want to rub it in, because I think Fiwa and Brad will agree we'd like a little bit of hear 'round these parts, but our high yesterday was only 55. Today? WooHoo, 58. tomorrow we might see 60. For a high.

Mo said...

ooops, heat not hear. Sheesh, I need to go to bed if I am typing incorrectly. LOL

Post a Comment

I love comments!