25 August 2008

I meant to write many times today. I kept thinking of things to write about, Now I'm so tired I can hardly type, and I don't know if I'll have time to write in the morning. I'll just write a little this and that.

I had an unproductive morning. I like to get moving early, but I didn't. Emily spent yesterday and last night at her dad's and got the summer reading assignment done. She came home around noon, and I drove her to practice about 2:15. I went to my pool after that. Not the pool, my pool. Lately I've had the pool almost to myself. There was one man there on his chaise, and me and the lifeguards, who were reading. Did you know that 32 laps are a mile? It took me all kinds of time yesterday to do the math. I walked the length of the pool, counting my steps. I measured my feet, did the multiplication to figure out how many meters a lap is, etc. When I told Kit, she was surprised. She knew 32 laps equaled a mile. She thought it was common knowledge. How many of you knew that? I've been swimming over a mile! Now I stop at 32 laps. I called a gym around the corner from my salon that has an indoor pool. I'm going on a tour tomorrow. A little blessing today, Elizabeth? Smelling the scent of pine trees while I swam. Yesterday on my walk I noticed that the pine cones have opened. Not too long ago they were green and closed tight. If I wasn't outdoors so much I would have never noticed. I never did before.


Remember that wooden spoon? It's the one that got ruined when I made pesto. Now I keep it in this pot on my deck railing that's filled with dirt. The other spoon is around there somewhere. I fill the clay saucer with water. The birds and squirrels like to play in it.

So, another good day. A pleasant eve with Emily. It's before 9:30, and I'm going to bed. Pleasant dreams!

16 comments:

Happyone said...

No, I didn't know that 32 laps was a mile.

There was a whole flock of blue jays out in the back yard yesterday. I counted 8 of them.

Funny you mentioned pinecones - I put of picture of pine cones up on my picture blog today. :-)

Anonymous said...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_laps_in_an_Olympic_size_pool_equal_one_mile

I have to say I remembered 32. It is 32 lengths in an Olympic-sized pool or 16 laps....

Kit

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Congratulations on swimming so far.

And I love your blue jay photo.

Billy said...

Your Monday sounds much better than mine. I love watching birds. My grandmother used to do it when we were kids and visited her during summer vacation. I couldn't ever figure her fascination for those birds until I got older.

Lena said...

I didn't know 32 laps equaled 1 mile either. But I love how you went to all that trouble to figure it out!

Love the picture and how fun for the birds.

fiwa said...

Having the pool all to yourself is really cool.

Glad you had a pleasant evening.

Sleep tight!
fiwa

Jay said...

32 laps equals a mile? Hmm .. that's a bit of trivia that I might not ever need unless I go on Jeopardy. But, I might impress someone with it someday. ;-)

jAMiE said...

I didn't know that about the laps equalling a mile..wow, good on ya!

Sweet dreams Cheryl...

Summer said...

I didn't know that either. So that must mean all pools are the same size???

My husband said yesterday, "The blue jays are back!" Do they leave in the summer?

Jamie said...

No, I didn't know that 32 laps was a mile either, but perhaps it's because I haven't been swimming in literally years! I want to go, so badly...soon, very soon.

I'm happy to hear the "content" in your post tonight.

Have a good day today.

Hugs.

jAMiE said...

Hi Cheryl, i left a little something for you on my blog...when you get a moment.

Moohaa said...

I didn't know it was a mile! Good for you! Wow, I know I couldn't swim that much. Oy.

Fall is on the way!! I can't wait!

That bird is so cute! We see a lot of birds in our yard in the morning, then the squirrels take over. :)

Brad said...

A mile+ ? I'm very impressed.

You could prob'ly kick my A**.

bonnie said...

I did know, but I can't remember if it's laps or lengths. I'll look it up. Is a lap up and back?

Portia said...

That's amazing, you've been swimming a mile or more and didn't even realize it! You'll be ready for that English Channel in no time:)

beachgirl said...

My kids would have known the answer to that question about how many laps. They swam thru high school. Lots of pool time for sure.
It sounds like you got some good sleep for sure.
Enjoy your evening.

Post a Comment

I love comments!