26 October 2008

Making up for lost time; bear with me

Alright, it's been long enough. I've been busy. Busy with what, though? Often, when I come into work on a Tuesday and I'm asked about my weekend, I have a hard time remembering. It's a long weekend...Saturday afternoon till Tuesday at 11:00. A nice long weekend, but always busy. I should talk about it today while I still remember. Hmmm...Em's friends were over yesterday so I came home from Borders at about 5:00 and stayed in. I cooked quesadillas for them and cookies. Pre-formed frozen cookies, but they were still hot and delicious. The kids were happy.


I'm not sure who did this, but check out the art they made on our whiteboard:


And those are lyrics. I asked.

I spent my time at Borders reading books about how to use your iPhone. I learned a lot! I went to my library afterwards and put a hold on one of them, then spent the night on the computer with an ebook, "The iPhone[R] Book" by Scott Kelby and Terry White, and my iPhone. I'm learning all the ins and outs. Next to my laptop, it's the best toy I ever bought. I've downloaded a few free apps, including the one that lets me post directly to Blogger, Twitter and Facebook. I've wanted to do all this since I first got the phone, but didn't have the time. I woke up at 6:00 this morning after 5 hours of sleep and spent the next 3.5 hours in bed with my laptop and iPhone. Then I got real and got busy.

Em and I went to the mall. It was not a success. I had to buy jelly beans, if you know what I mean. I ran the few errands I had planned, then we came home. It was a beautiful day, and I started my walk at 3:30. I think it was 67 degrees and sunny. Wonderful weather for a walk. Em asked if I could stop in Dunkin Donuts on my way home and get her an apple fritter. There I was, power-walking the rest of the way home with a donut bag in hand. I didn't eat any. I just finished an unappetizing dinner of microwaved Tyson's crispy chicken strips that Emily won't eat, and Trader Joe's organic vegetable medley. The veggies were much better than the chicken. And I read the paper! I don't know the last time I did that. And here I am.

I took a few pictures with my iPhone camera. Here's how they compare with my Canon. The phone pictures are first. Not as good as the real thing, but OK.






I met with the counselor on Thursday, and made some big changes around here. I'm getting lots of opposition, both from you know who and from her father. I just have to deal with it. He's going to the counselor with me tomorrow. I will let the professional decide the best course of action. The changes I made were proscribed by her. Change is hard, but the hope is that things will get better.

I'll start my busy day tomorrow with my swim. My favorite lane is just to the right of the lifeguard. See all that sun shining on the water? I purposefully smile whenever I swim into the light. This is the main pool. It's divided into 3 pools, all with the same water. The triangular banner's overhead mark the 1/4 and 3/4 lap, with the American flag marking the mid point. It's nice when I do the backstroke to look at the ceiling and know just where I am.



This is the therapeutic pool with a class going on.


I tried to get a picture, but it came out too dark. I stand under a waterfall after I finish my swim. It's in 1.5 feet of water. I let the water cascade over my head and massage my back. Then I get in the big hot tub and do my stretches. Then I sit in the water with my head resting against the ledge and water from a waterwall sprinkles cool drops on my face. Sounds good, huh?

I'm still sore from Thursday's swim. My shoulders. My friend Cathi said it's from overuse. I'm stretching, and it doesn't hurt when I swim.

Can you believe how much I wrote. Sorry. Did you last this long? I'm outta here.

10 comments:

Summer said...

I'm so happy that you are making changes and too bad if they aren't popular. Your swim sounds great. I think I need to look into swimming for my arthritis. Have a good Monday!

marykay said...

I may have to break down and get an iphone, but I am a non reader of instructions and probably not use it more than to answer calls, I know I suck. I wish we had a nice pool like that it would make me wanna go. Summer is right your the Mom your not always popular, unfortunately. Have wonderful day off. Jealous..yes I am.

Brad said...

I love the idea of the waterfall - that's the best kind of back massage.

I wish I had monday off too! dangit.

fiwa said...

Ah... a nice, long Cheryl post. I've missed you. :)

Good for you with the changes, I hope things settle down.

You know - my camera phone is supposed to be better than my regular camera, but it's not. And I don't think it's just that it's harder to steady - the colors aren't as nice either.

Your pool looks like heaven, I wish I could swim with you.

Enjoy your day,
fiwa

Lena said...

I lasted that long! It was a great post.

I LOVE your pool, it sounds wonderful with the waterfall and HOT Tub! How lucky you are.

It is hard to make changes with kids, but hang in there, it is worth it!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love to read how enthusiastic you are about your "toys."

Sorry to hear about the opposition. They're just trying to make you back down. It will take time to convince Emily that you can be stronger than she is, but it's what she needs.

happyone said...

A nice long newsy post - the best kind!
The pool looks inviting.
Sorry to hear your having opposition with those changes but give it time. Good luck tomorrow at the counselors.
I'm looking forward to our stamp class on Thrusday. :-)

Gin said...

I hope your changes make your life much better. I'm so glad you love your iPhone, aren't they just the best!! I love the photos of your pool!! I've been swimming almost every week day and it rocks! I'm loving it so much!! I swim laps in the big/cold pool, then walk in the warm pool. Good to see you posting again. :)

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

I'm glad you have this as an outlet!! very very glad!!

everyone is making attempts more then 3months ago, so that is a good sign! :)

E

kristi said...

I think you are awesome for going to counseling and trying to work out a cohesive plan!

Post a Comment

I love comments!