23 July 2008

Ocean City didn't always have beaches as wide as they are. The Army Corps of Engineers did a major beach replenishment project twice, included building grass covered sand dunes to protect the beach. It really adds a lot of beauty to the beach.


Here's where we're staying, top right. See Bon's cute red mini? I feel like a celebrity driving around in it.


The market across the street had the most awesome bakery. We couldn't decide what to buy. We (having great minds) picked the same things. Apple fritters and toasted coconut donuts. I know I moaned with each bite. I'm telling you, I couldn't help it. It opens and 9:00 this morning and I'm going back for the coconut donut. Bonnie too. The market also had a deli. We bought 2 rolls, roast beef and turkey, coleslaw and pickles, and Pringles. I brought tomatoes and basil from my 'garden'. We had a great lunch.


See the crumbs on the plates? Every one of them was gone when we were done


The bathing beauties. Yup, that's us!




We left the beach to join Bonnie's old neighbor for cocktails at her house on the Little Assawoman Bay. Much to my surprise, I found that she was the long-time client of my former co-worker, the person I shared a station with for almost 16 years and that I miss dearly. I knew Linda, the client, from all the years of working with Cathy. Her house was outstandingly beautiful and I was thrilled to be there. Our plan was to stay for drinks, then go to The Crab Cake Factory (which we'd heard have the best crab cakes around) for dinner. The three of us shared a few bottles of wine, and were having such a great time that we asked Linda if she was up for dinner. Bonnie and I drove to the restaurant for carry-out, and went back to Linda's with a feast. She had set the teakwood table on the deck, graced it with candle light, and we were ready for a few more hours of time spent together. I felt like I'd known Linda for years. It was a fabulous night.




It's Wednesday morning and our party is almost over. It's been a most excellent adventure. Think how much fun it would be if a bunch of us could get together for vacation. I 'joke' that if The Pioneer Woman opens her Lodge as a retreat, that I'm signing up to go. I really do intend to do that. Any takers?

17 comments:

C.A. said...

Count me in, Cheryl!

You look so relaxed and happy in these pictures and that makes me smile!

Have a good day!

C.A.

Happyone said...

Wow that bakery is something else. Everything looks sooo good.
You two look like your having a wonderful time.
The thing I like about the beach is walking down by the water early in the morning.

Mary said...

I'd love to get my toes in that sand and my taste buds on those pastries. The two of you look so laid back and happy - good for you - do another mini vaca soon.

I've thought the same thing about Pioneer Woman's lodge. The lodge will be awesome.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Great photos! Do I detect a tendency to photograph strapping young lifeguards though? Good to see you having so much fun.

Moohaa said...

Those donuts look evilishly delicious! Yummmmmm!

I'm so uber happy that you're having such a great time.

Gin said...

Isn't it a small world!

I'd love to get away from it all!! I'm in dire need of a vacation.

Sounds like you're having a good time and a wonderfully peaceful time. Good food, beautiful water and great friends...what more could you want!!!

Jamie said...

I can tell you are having a wonderful time and that makes me smile.

Your photos make me want to visit there, too.

Be safe getting back home.

Hugs to you and Bonnie.

:)

Brad said...

Glad your both having fun beach babes. Those lifegaurds make me want to go lift weights again.

heiresschild said...

now come on and tell the truth--ya'll were plastered after a few bottles of wine, weren't you?! lol!

the crab cake factory sounds really yummy, as did the baked goods.

Lena said...

You are having one heck of a good time. Good for you!!!!

You do look so relaxed and happy!

Andrew said...

That looks like so much fun! I am envious! Have a great time and happy homecoming as well!

Golden To Silver Val said...

I wanted to lick my computer screen...those baked goods were out of this world yummy looking. So glad you had such a good time. I just LOVE Ree, the Pioneer Woman!!! Sure would love to see her stompin' grounds and maybe wrangle me an old timer who can't run too fast. LOLOLOLOLOL

Jenny said...

I want me one of them coconut donuts!

beachgirl said...

that sounds like a fun vacation

my favorite donut is toasted coconut, yummy

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

I am there! And those donuts and the fun and the looks of delicious delights and relaxation in your faces...I'm glad you went!!

:) let me know when that lodge opens up!!

xo,
elizabeth

Billy said...

I would totally be there! I am not much on swimming, but I would certainly volunteer to cook the meals!

I am a sucker for old fashioned cake donuts. Looks like you had a fabulous time. Bon and you look great!

Portia said...

Wonderful pictures! I'm glad you guys had the great time we all told you to have:) How funny that you wound up knowing Bonnie's friend. Small world isn't it.

Post a Comment

I love comments!