03 September 2007

New day, I got a new attitude.

I woke up bright and early after a good night's sleep. Showered and got all ready so that when I brought Emily to field hockey practice I could hit the road. First stop was to Sam's Club to have some digital pictures printed and pick up bird seed. Next was to a new Panera's (Hi Rich, wish you were here). That's where I am and I'm HAPPY!! This is such a vibrant place with a feel-good atmosphere. As I look around I see: families, a father, son and grandchild, a mother wearing her baby in a sling with her mother, seniors with books, people like me with laptops, women sitting together, men sitting together. Great music emitting from the speakers. I'm sitting at a table next to a wall of windows. The sun is shining. What's not to be happy about? I had a cinnamon crunch bagel with hazelnut cream cheese. My first cup of coffee was dark and hearty, my second decaf. I have 45 minutes till I pick up Emily, and I just might stay here the whole time.

So did I sound all smarty with my technology jargon yesterday? Well, if I had Andrew around to guide me, I'd be able to do the things I want. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use my portable hard drive, and something so easy as a flash drive just isn't working for me. I'd really like to just follow the directions and have things work for me the first time instead of turning into a big production. I'd like to be able to do things without help. Like the monitor problem last night. Emily and I just couldn't figure out how to get the stand on. My neighbor Kelly did it in about 5 seconds, as I knew she would, but we had to wait a half hour till she had the time. She was installing new wood blinds in her daughter's room. When I saw the blinds, I wanted them too. Only problem? I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to do it, nor would I have the tools. Kelly is the one who fixed my outside air conditioner unit, put all new parts in my toilets, worked on my garage door, etc., etc. I'm thankful for every thing she's done for me. It may sound sexist, but she's 'my man'.

Well, I'm all over the place with this post. I still have more to write, but it's time to get Emily. BTW, here's a little background on her field hockey: she's never played before, and didn't want to go out for the team in August. This week she found out that there weren't enough players and if more didn't join in, they'd have to drop the sport. She got a physical on Friday, and she and her friend Morgan joined the team today. I wonder how she'll feel after a 3 hour practice? Fall rec softball started on Saturday. Up till last spring she'd never played a team sport (unless you count what she did when she was 5), now she's playing two. I think it's fantastic.

Later!

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Cheryl,

I was thrilled to see my name in your post. You made my day. I am no computer guru, but feel I do pretty well. Ghetto style. My fan to my processor is rubberbanded on. I know. Don't laugh, but it works.

Tell Emily I am proud of her. I worry about you as well with your neck. I keep hoping it is just you being a hypochondriac and nothing serious. It worries me. Take care of yourself and I will talk to you again, soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope she will have a lot of fun in both team sports. It really depends on the dynamics of the players. I stopped playing team sports in high school because there was one group of popular girls that comprised the varisty team of all of the team sports. The rest of us were just "fillers".

I hope it will be differnt for Emily and she'll really start to get into it.

Take care of your neck now you. There's lots of important body bits there ya' know. :)

I'm glad you had a chance to hang out at your favorite place!

-P

Amanda said...

Glad you are feeling better Cheryl. I get those moments too, so I know how it can be.

That's really brave of Emily to jump in with both feet like that. Hope it all works out for the best!

Summer said...

The coffee, the bagel, the people and the sun shining... I was right there with you. What a lovely start to a lovely day.

I hope you're feeling better.

captain corky said...

I think I'm going to go out and get one of those slings. I never thought I would want one, but now I understand how useful one would be.

A nice bagel and hot cup of coffee is the perfect way to start any day.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

hazelnut cream cheese-that sounds so good!

That's fabulous that Emily is willing to try something out. Plus she's involved with things that will hopefully keep her out of harms way, or trouble, mind you.

I'm glad that you had a good nights rest, you put that annoyance of a purchase a side for a bit, and did some personal pampering via coffee and bagels.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

With Kelly, who needs guys? GO KELLY! Does she do roadtrips to chicago? :)
Always,
Crusty~

jAMiE said...

How wonderful for Emily playing on two teams...i thinik it's fantastic too..way to go Emily.

Post a Comment

I love comments!