14 June 2007

I've got a bit of time before we leave to go to Emily's promotion ceremony. Middle school is over; it's been a ride. I picked up a small gift for Emily today-'To Kill A Mockingbird.' It's on her summer reading list for high school honors Language Arts. Thoughtful of me, huh? A real gift rests upon her report card, which will come in the mail. All the hassles of homework and projects are over for a few blissful months. I'm one of those parents who've always loved summer vacations.

I'm sitting outside, it's a cool and overcast day. My newest pleasure in sitting on my porch is watching the ruby-throated hummingbirds at my feeder. The male is at the feeder right now. I see him a lot more often than the female. I'm not sure what makes this particular bird so appealing, but I could sit out here forever waiting and watching.

This morning found me running around doing errands with my mother. It must be Thursday. First stop was to Starbucks for a strong, fancy drink and Chick-fil-A for a breakfast burrito. Yum. We went to my Mom's doctor, Walmart, and out to lunch. I went into the library, card shop and shoe store while she waited in the car, reading my book. We got a lot done. I came home and mowed the lawn and puttered in the garden. By the way, there appears to be absolutely no new activity from Mr. Mole. I'm not going to assume the battle is over yet. Too soon to tell. If it is over, I have to find some brave soul to unearth the area I pounded to look for 'remains.' I won't do it.

Well, my break is over for now. Time to 'play hairdresser' and do Emily's hair.

7 comments:

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

mmmmm, chick-fil-A..my husband and I used to eat that all the time when we lived in florida before moving to chicago...yum..between food mentions in 4th ave and you and a recipe from Rae in his comments field..my mouth hurts from thoughts of good food!
Always,
crusty

Anonymous said...

Ah, you probably can't tell us what the real gift is now because Emily might read about it before she gets it.

I liked "To Kill a Mocking Bird", I didn't think I would when it was required reading, but hopefully Emily will be as pleasently suprised as I was.

It's just when something is "required", I usually make up my mind not to like it. Onery, you know. :>

-P

captain corky said...

I hope Corky Jr's a good student but I have my suspicions...

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Annabel said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book. I hated most books that were required of me in English class, but when we got this one, I couldn't put it down! I hope she enjoys it.

Sounds like a very lovely day for you.

Terroni said...

Such a great book! I read it for the first time the summer before my freshman year, too.

Tell her I said congratulations on making it through middle school. Even at their best, those 3 years can be a little rough.

I hope she loves the book as much as I did. Perhaps, when she's done with that summer reading, she can indulge us a bit and blog about her favorites...

Sarah said...

PICK ME! PICK ME! I would LURVE to unearth remains. Only because I'm the type of person who would want to know if you really got the bugger or just scared him off. Not because dead garden ruining moles are appealing to me - just the curiosity getting the best of me!

Did you get my email with the license plate picture?

Congrats, Emily! Have fun in high school! Come and visit me this summer!

Billy said...

I purchased the same book a couple of months ago and have failed to read it. Guess I might pick it up soon to see what Emily will be reading. I have heard it is a wonderful read.

Post a Comment

I love comments!