23 February 2012

For the birds

I really can't believe how long it's been since I've written anything. How am I going to remember my life if I don't write about it? I'm going to try to do better. Famous last words! Have I ever talked about good intentions? Probably.

One of the things I was thinking of this morning as the sun was streaming through my windows was dust. The beautiful sunlight just highlighted the layer on my furniture. Where the heck does it come from? You couldn't tell I had just dusted a week ago. Dust is for the birds. And speaking of birds..I got a bird. Twice! I don't remember if I had my cockatiel Zeus when I started my blog. I loved him. He was the only pet I ever had and he flew away when I stepped outside without realizing he was on my shoulder. I'll never forget him and never let that happen again. One day last week it popped into my head that I might like having a bird again. A companion. Rob and I went to a pet store that breeds and hand-raises their birds, and I chose a bird that was beautiful. Emily was so excited! I had to go home to get my old cage and the three of us went back to the shop to get him. I was a little envious in the store with how good he was with Rob and Emily, but I knew I'd have plenty of time with him alone. Long story short, he would get on my shoulder but not ever let me touch him. All he did was try to bite me. I had buyer's remorse, but was determined to win him over. I brought Mango back to the store today for his 1 week check-up.

Not my finger

The store is owned by a husband and wife and this time the wife was there. I talked about Mango, and how all he does is try to bite me. I told her how loving Zeus was. She observed Mango with me. She held Mango and he was mean to her! We talked a lot about the care I was giving him. She could tell that I was trying really hard to do everything right. I was a little excited and hopeful when she gave me another cockatiel to hold. Right away this new bird put his head down for me to rub. He let me hold him and stroke him and get close. The owner told me she's never exchanged a bird before, but she wanted to do it for me. I'm so happy! So, so happy! They're going to re-socialize Mango so he can go to another home. Can we name the new bird Mango too?

Mango 2

I went to NY last weekend with my friend Kit. She asked a couple of weeks ago if I wanted to go and without hesitation I said YES! I'll write about it this weekend. I'm making a commitment here. I want to read all about it!

6 comments:

Lena said...

I was so happy that she let you exchange the bird! It must have been so nice when Mango 2 put his head down for you to stroke. I never had a bird for a pet.

Glad to see you writing again. Miss you when you don't post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheryl,
I was happy to see your post this morning. I love Mango's name!

Rebecca

KathyA said...

Cannot believe even birds suffer from personality disorders! So very glad this one is a keeper. And how the hell does one re-socialize a bird???

happyone said...

Oh he is so pretty and I love his name. I think it is great that you got a pet.

Leann said...

I'm so glad you were able to get a bird that you can bond with!! Thumbs up to the lady for exchanging the bird out. I hope they get Mango 1 to a point where he will make someone a great pet.

Jules said...

Hi Cheryl, remember me??????? I have been so excited about Mango, following along on Facebook. I have a similar bird at my work and I have just fallen in love with it! I had no idea they were such strong personalities... Anyhow, I am happy for you new addition.

Post a Comment

I love comments!