09 August 2007

I woke up this morning to something very unfamiliar. It was the sound of a summer storm, complete with thunder, lightning and rain. My first thought was of things left outside that should have been brought in, the next was that whatever it was could dry off. I went out to the screened-in porch, my glasses quickly steaming up before I could even glimpse my surroundings. I sat on a rocker, gazing out at the hanging Spanish moss, enjoying the only sounds: the steady rain and the cries of the gulls. Then I saw a surprising sight. No, not an alligator, which I worried about from time to time. I really don't think there are any around here. The kids have been to the Serpentarium, and surely they would have told us if they learned about those creatures roaming this island. What I saw was an old familiar buddy. A squirrel bounding down one tree, across the yard, and up another. Just like at home. But without the tomatoes.

10 comments:

Billy said...

We had storms in Kansas last night as well. Lots of tree branches fell in the yard. Nice to hear about your squirrel. Reminds you of home, doesn't it?

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

awww, even when you're away from home, you're still well, home..

perhaps its the same squirrel that you so gracefully interrupted him getting his groove on (HI PORTIA!!) and he's come to haunt you during a fabulous storm.

I think I've read too many children's books today.
Have a great day.
I LOVE thunderstorms!!
Always,
Crusty~

captain corky said...

When you become a superhero you're definitely going to have the ability to control animals.

Amanda said...

I always find other people's bad weather so much more fascinating than my own. :)

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

What can I say? I have friends everywhere. Hope that won't upset your holidays.

~Vital~ said...

ummm....hubby says their are alligators there as well as here in Florida. Sorry. Here, we just assume that any standing water has a gator in it, and it usually does. sigh.

Portia said...

they're everywhere!!

lovely description of the morning on the porch...the summer storm and the spanish moss...i was almost there when the phone rang.

jAMiE said...

I love a summer storm, though they do scare me...happy you got to see your old friend, minus your lovely tomatoes.

Summer said...

LOL at Rocky!

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

What a great time you seem to be having there despite the heat,

Post a Comment

I love comments!