11 May 2009

My day (original, huh?)

Much to my surprise, this is what I saw yesterday when I opened my front door.


This is what I found today when I was staking my yarrow.


Why, in the middle of two yarrow plants in the middle of my garden did a duck decide to hollow out a spot and lay eggs? Doesn't momma duck know I have a whole lot of planting to do? Doesn't she know I don't want her walking on my tender annuals? Couldn't she find a pond or something? I mean, I did enjoy seeing her on my walkway. It was novel. I've had a groundhog that has made for some gardening hell. I'm constantly pushing down mole tunnels. But ducks?

I was able to get a same-day appointment for a MRI of my knee today. It's been flaring up, so it was perfect timing. I'd like to know what's going on so I can do something about it. I hope it doesn't take long for the results, and that the remedy isn't painful. It was relaxing to lay there, even with the pounding beat.

I got my big garden mulched today. It took 19 bags. I did it carefully so as not to hurt the knee and wore my brace. I had no energy to do any planting, even though I really want it done. There's always Thursday. I love the look of new mulch. Here's a few pics.

My favorite rusty yard ornament. I hope he never disintegrates.


Shades of green and textures


Soon to be ablaze in color.


I made plans to meet Kit at her place in Sherwood Forest. One of my favorite places to be. I arrived early so I could hang out on the porch and read. It was covered in pollen. I had to sweep and wipe down the furniture, but it was worth the work. Kit came after work and we picked up a sandwich from the general store and ate on the porch while we talked.

View from the porch. We could see the Severn River between the trees.



Time for bed. It was a long and good day.

11 comments:

Jules said...

Cheryl, I had a duck lay 4 eggs by my pool one summer, in the sun! I had to put up an umbrella for them. They hatched, oh some 90 days later. I cried like Tony Soprano when the babies finally flew away. Consider it a blessing, just don't nae them.

Biddie said...

Oh, how sweet! I would love to have some duckies in my yard! Mind you, I have enough animals around my house.

Jamie said...

I love the idea of ducks in your gardens...and I know they will be safe there. I think you should consider yourself blessed to have them.

Your pics are so beautiful. I admire your strength and skill to make it all so perfect.

Hope your week is going great. Hugs. :)

KathyA said...

What a great day! I hope the fix for the knee is an easily accomplished one. The duck thing is funny, Cheryl, admit it!

KathyA said...

What a great day! I hope the fix for the knee is an easily accomplished one. The duck thing is funny, Cheryl, admit it!

Cindy said...

I love the eggs in the garden! Last year I got 3 hanging baskets for Mother's day, I had a bird lay eggs in there. She laid one a day for 6 days. Each day after work I took pictures of them and posted them to my blog. They were so neat. This year I need another basket for a bird........need to do that after work. It was so much fun to see them last year.

ac said...

Love that the Duck chose your garden. :)

Love the rusty dood. I make rusty yard stuff myself sometimes out of old found things. Your rusty guy is GREAT!

Lena said...

Seeing that duck at your door made me smile! The eggs in the garden, amazing!!

Good luck with your knee and let me know how it goes. I need to revisit my knee issues. I so miss my healthy knees.

I got so anxious in the MRI, I could not stand it. But that is me, nervous Nelly. I could not relax in it. Good for you that you could!

Anonymous said...

More info on egg laying/incubating... It is perfectly normal for a duck to abandon the nest during the day. The eggs require a certain temperature to develop properly. If the duck sits on them during warm weather, the eggs could get too hot. This is why she often only sits on the eggs at night. During the day she goes away to feed, bathe etc, so she is healthy enough to continue incubating. If she didn't do this, the eggs would be at risk of overheating, while the duck could suffer from not having enough food to eat.
Courtesy: "The neighbor"

kristi said...

Pretty!! Can you come to TX and help me?? LOL!

Brad said...

Boy those bushes by the frnt walk sure grow fast - didn't you and Em just cut them back last year?

Post a Comment

I love comments!