I had a complete physical this morning just because it was time. I had my labs done on Monday. My total cholesterol numbers are too high and my bad cholesterol is bad. My vitamin D levels are bad too. I'll be taking meds for that and making diet and exercise changes for the cholesterol. Everything else was fine. I'll see a cardiologist for a nuclear stress test just because of family history. I'll have a venous doppler done on my legs because both knees/thighs/backs of knees have been bothering me and it feels vascular to me. My doctor doesn't think so, but OK'd the test. I want it for peace of mind. She said I should do the physical therapy that was ordered in the summer. I should.
I went to Karen's house afterward for a visit. We had her homemade chili. Yum. We sat out on her deck and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon and the view of the brightest most colorful tree around.
From there I went to St. Agnes hospital. I got a call from my friend Kit that her father had taken a sudden turn for the worse, and was in the hospital on oxygen and morphine. He has pneumonia, and they think he had a silent heart attack. They're just keeping him comfortable as his body shuts down. Most of Kit's family was at the hospital. It was sad seeing Mr. M like that, but I was glad to be there to see him and to share this time with the family. He was transported from the hospital to the nursing home he's been living in, and we all trekked over there. I was glad to see the wonderful home Kit had made out of his room. Every wall was decorated with family pictures and Catholic items. He was a deeply religious man and attended Mass every day. I've never been in the presence of someone about to die. It was peaceful, and I wasn't scared. I was also glad that he didn't pass in front of me! I don't imagine it will take long. This will be a very big loss for Kit's family as their father, at 92, was such a presence in all of their lives. I don't think I've ever seen a person as devoted to her father as Kit has been to hers. Not only did she visit him a few times a week, she shopped for him, took him out to eat all the time, transcribed his stories, decorated his room to his specifications, etc. All the while, she loved his company. She thought he was 'a riot'. And he was. I've been friends with Kit since we were in middle school, so I've known Mr. M for a long, long time. He's still with us, but he's already missed.
Emily went to a college fair at her old high school tonight with a friend. When she walked into the house afterward, the first thing she said was, I can't wait to move out of this place. I just looked at her. She said, you must have felt that way about going to college. I might have, but I would have worded it differently. Just saying.
Time to put this long day to rest and get ready for the next one.
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
22 October 2009
The Girl With the Curl
About Me
- Cheryl
- I have the perfect job for me. I choose to be a happy person. I have a 23 year old daughter, a mostly local family and some great friends. I live in a sun-filled home that I love. I love to learn. I'm easy to please. I'm not always what I seem.
I Wonder What's In Here?
FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed
My Blog List
-
-
Most Wonderful Time Of The Year - This afternoon, after I taught a class at the studio, Christian took the girls camping, and Minnie and I had our own little mommy-daughter evening together...4 days ago
-
Reflections (And Not on a Green Pond) - One would have to be a hanging salami to not be affected by the literal dismantling of our White House, Rose Garden, Performing Arts Center, and on and ...2 months ago
-
-
Marching In - Here it is March already and winter just flew by. Anyway, another milestone was passed, 71 trips around the sun in January! If any of my followers are stil...6 months ago
-
Hello world! - Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!1 year ago
-
-
This Saturday’s Recipes by The Pioneer Woman - This Saturday is a brand new episode of “Home Sweet Home” on Food Network. My kids are helping me shoot it, my production company in the UK is editing it t...6 years ago
-
Healthy Living as a Type 1 Diabetic: Tandem X2 Insulin Pump & Dexcom G6 CGM - *New Podcasts: * Healthy Living Diabetes: Tandem X2 Insulin Pump & Dexcom G6 CGM *30 minute podcast click here * 60 minute podcast click here Anyone who ha...6 years ago
-
Meg and Other Matters - Meg, Alex’s lifelong friend, got married Saturday! She’s Hyacinth’s daughter, and while it’s a little surreal that she is now a married woman, she found pr...7 years ago
-
Whatever It Takes - Have you ever been in a position of having someone--a spouse, significant other, someone very close to you--ask you a major, "What if..." question? I was h...7 years ago
-
Moving to a New Location - This year I will be blogging at: http://josietwoshoes.wordpress.com Please come and visit me there! :-)8 years ago
-
Back again - I miss my blogging friends. I have become addicted to Facebook and Twitter and it steals all of my time. The only blogs I usually read now are by bloggers...9 years ago
-
A quick update--- - I am still in the hospital, and I have to tell you --- my pain this time is so, SO much worse than ever before. I understand it is because he took out two ...9 years ago
-
The Watchers - A few years back I asked my grandmother what her earliest memory was. She thought for a moment and told me that the most vivid memory she has from early c...10 years ago
-
How I started the new year..... - A few days after January 1, I hurt my foot. I thought perhaps I had stepped on it wrong and sprained it. I knew I had a doctor's appointment coming up so...10 years ago
-
RIP Mom, I love you - July 8, 2015, my brother called to tell me my mother had passed away. I don't want to go into the details. It's been hard. I have a lot of guilt. I used Na...11 years ago
-
Diagnosis Today! - Well, my father just called and we are leaving at 11:30am to head to the doctor. sniff sniff. At least we will eat a good lunch somewhere. That gives m...11 years ago
-
Resisting - To quote a CBSnews.com article, "Flowers are blossoming. Bees are buzzing. The sky is blue. Sunsets have been stunning. Temperatures have crept north ...11 years ago
-
Author's Website - My new author's website and blog is live. You can find it here. Among other things, on the books page it has a synopsis of my soon-to-be-published book *Th...13 years ago
-
I Love Photography! by The Pioneer Woman - A short time after I started my blog in 2006, I got a “big girl camera” and began learning about photography. My learning approach was to take thousands an...13 years ago
-
-
Another Week Gone - *Earlier today I did manage to change my header pic to one from the Opryland Hotel Atrium in Nashville, TN. Harry and I enjoyed our time at the Ryman and ...14 years ago
-
HOPE CHEST - *I was recently asked a question by BlogHer:* *"How do I plan to create Happiness for myself in 2012?" Tough question if you ask me..** *(oh before ...14 years ago
-
Wow...I almost forgot about my blog! - The best intentions sometimes fall by the wayside once spring and summer get here. And what with addictive games and contacts on Facebook, my blog has suff...15 years ago
-
His name is "Stay!" - I'm lucky enough to get a call every so often from the Endress+Hauser Corporation to make something out of their spare parts. They give me full creative...16 years ago
-
-
-
-
-


4 comments:
Didn't know about Kit's dad being so ill. I think it really wonderful you could share that occurrence with her and her family. You're a good friend.
And Emily... -- just think -- someday she'll have a daughter just like she is!!! We can only hope.
I have a 15 year old son who also forgets to use the "self-edit" button. It'll be an amusing anecdote to bring up in several years when she asks to move back home after college to save money! MIME
It is special that you could be there for your friend Kit. I am sure it means a lot to her. 92 is a good long life. Bless him.
How was it for Em to go back to her old school?
You are a good friend to be there for Kit. It is so hard to lose your parents, but it sounds like the family has it together.
Kids can cut your heart right out, then stomp it on the floor, and act as though they didn't do anything. Don't take it personally. Ugh.
Happy Monday friend. Wish I could spend it with you over coffee. Hugs. :)
Post a Comment
I love comments!