22 October 2009

A chunky kind of day

I had a complete physical this morning just because it was time. I had my labs done on Monday. My total cholesterol numbers are too high and my bad cholesterol is bad. My vitamin D levels are bad too. I'll be taking meds for that and making diet and exercise changes for the cholesterol. Everything else was fine. I'll see a cardiologist for a nuclear stress test just because of family history. I'll have a venous doppler done on my legs because both knees/thighs/backs of knees have been bothering me and it feels vascular to me. My doctor doesn't think so, but OK'd the test. I want it for peace of mind. She said I should do the physical therapy that was ordered in the summer. I should.

I went to Karen's house afterward for a visit. We had her homemade chili. Yum. We sat out on her deck and enjoyed the beautiful afternoon and the view of the brightest most colorful tree around.

From there I went to St. Agnes hospital. I got a call from my friend Kit that her father had taken a sudden turn for the worse, and was in the hospital on oxygen and morphine. He has pneumonia, and they think he had a silent heart attack. They're just keeping him comfortable as his body shuts down. Most of Kit's family was at the hospital. It was sad seeing Mr. M like that, but I was glad to be there to see him and to share this time with the family. He was transported from the hospital to the nursing home he's been living in, and we all trekked over there. I was glad to see the wonderful home Kit had made out of his room. Every wall was decorated with family pictures and Catholic items. He was a deeply religious man and attended Mass every day. I've never been in the presence of someone about to die. It was peaceful, and I wasn't scared. I was also glad that he didn't pass in front of me! I don't imagine it will take long. This will be a very big loss for Kit's family as their father, at 92, was such a presence in all of their lives. I don't think I've ever seen a person as devoted to her father as Kit has been to hers. Not only did she visit him a few times a week, she shopped for him, took him out to eat all the time, transcribed his stories, decorated his room to his specifications, etc. All the while, she loved his company. She thought he was 'a riot'. And he was. I've been friends with Kit since we were in middle school, so I've known Mr. M for a long, long time. He's still with us, but he's already missed.

Emily went to a college fair at her old high school tonight with a friend. When she walked into the house afterward, the first thing she said was, I can't wait to move out of this place. I just looked at her. She said, you must have felt that way about going to college. I might have, but I would have worded it differently. Just saying.

Time to put this long day to rest and get ready for the next one.


KathyA said...

Didn't know about Kit's dad being so ill. I think it really wonderful you could share that occurrence with her and her family. You're a good friend.
And Emily... -- just think -- someday she'll have a daughter just like she is!!! We can only hope.

michiganme said...

I have a 15 year old son who also forgets to use the "self-edit" button. It'll be an amusing anecdote to bring up in several years when she asks to move back home after college to save money! MIME

Lena said...

It is special that you could be there for your friend Kit. I am sure it means a lot to her. 92 is a good long life. Bless him.

How was it for Em to go back to her old school?

Jamie said...

You are a good friend to be there for Kit. It is so hard to lose your parents, but it sounds like the family has it together.

Kids can cut your heart right out, then stomp it on the floor, and act as though they didn't do anything. Don't take it personally. Ugh.

Happy Monday friend. Wish I could spend it with you over coffee. Hugs. :)

Post a Comment

I love comments!