05 May 2007

I decided to buy my own mulch and bypass the weird neighbor. The new mulch is a perfect match with what I already put down. The main garden is finished, and it looks great. I started planting when I got home from work today. I have a small bedding area beside my garage leading up to my porch that I'm hesitant to plant.

It's because of the demon groundhog that terrorized my cul-de-sac last year. It burrowed under the concrete slabs of our porches. The dirt that animal displaced completely obliterated all the plants and left this mess. It was war. I put all the dirt back, put big rocks and a cinder block down, a big board, etc... I came home one day and he had done it again.

I was so mad. This time I went all out. I sunk metal stakes between the dirt and the concrete. I stacked up as many rocks as I could. I heard they don't like Epsom salt, so I kept the area covered in salt. The groundhog didn't come back, but I made what looked like a voodoo temple. It was quite the conversation piece. I guess you could say the groundhog won. Well, I have plants ready for that area. I hoped the groundhog was gone for good. Last week, it dug under my neighbor's porch and another one across the street. I have big rocks stacked against my porch, and the stakes are in the ground but sunk, like an underground fence. Still, I think my days are numbered.

8 comments:

Terroni said...

I have faith in you, Cheryl!
Kick groundhog butt!

JR's Thumbprints said...

It could be worse. We had a family of skunks trying to make a home under our wood deck.

captain corky said...

Reading about the issues you're having with the demon groundhog makes my trigger finger itch.

Summer said...

All I could think of was Bill Murray in Caddy Shack when I read this. Ha!

I think you live fairly close to me and I haven't planted yet. I was hoping to put some flowers in pots yesterday, but like you said, it was such a gross day!

Enjoy your days off!

Billy said...

That nasty little bugger. I hate those little rodents. They can really tear up a yard. Good luck.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I hope you win!

Anonymous said...

Did you ever see "Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit"? I love that claymation! You should rent it, it'll make you laugh, and maybe some kind rich hippie (an oxymoron I know) will build a ground hog sancutary. Hee,hee,hee

-P

Anonymous said...

soory I should have finished that thought.

If there were a sanctuary then you could have them trapped and released guilt-free.
-P

Post a Comment

I love comments!