12 February 2008

Gray. Very cold. Sleet and freezing rain. A perfect setting for a day off! Happy, happy me.

I switched days off when I realized today was Election Day and schools would be closed. I'll be working Thursday instead. I called my clients on Friday to apologize and cancel their Tuesday appointments. Unfortunately, the majority of them were teachers, who made their appointments specifically because of the day off. I should have arranged my schedule for this months ago.

Yesterday I made it my mission to play with the Wii. Here's the screen with my Mii:


Half the fun was creating my image. Then I set about to find my inner hand/eye coordination. It doesn't come natural. I started with bowling. I like bowling the best. I was alone in the house, and was screaming and shouting with every spare and strike. Then I went on to tennis. I probably spent an hour hitting balls. I'm getting better at it, but still haven't had that 'aha' moment. I turned it on today to do more practicing, but Emily wanted to play. I watched her play tennis, standing beside her, trying to mimic her moves. It seems like she uses her wrist a lot. I'm swinging my whole right arm. And that arm is very sore. And that's my Wii story, so far.

Time off and the weather have put me in the mood to cook. I made quesadillas for dinner last night. And the night before. And for Emily's lunch today. She made one for lunch on Sunday. I guess you'd say we're on a quesadilla kick. Safeway had Tyson's southwestern chicken strips on sale for a great price. I bought many packages, thinking I'd freeze them. Not. Tortillas, fried onions, Mexican cheese blend and the chicken makes a great crispy meal. And I didn't take a picture because? Last night I made The Pioneer Woman's cookie dough and candy recipe, using her oatmeal crispies dough. Oh, I feel the calories adding up. I have a head of garlic roasting in the oven. Emily just called down from upstairs, 'Ewwww, what smells??' I think it's a heavenly smell. I'm making PW's mashed potatoes and I planned to add the roasted garlic. I'm rethinking that. I'll cook marinated chicken on my George Forman grill, along with fresh broccoli. Then I'm done cooking. Till the cupcakes tomorrow.

Today was a very un-Cheryl day. Did I just refer to myself in the third-person? Weird. I had the hardest time staying asleep last night. It was a relief to be off today because I've been feeling very glassy-eyed. I threw on some clothes and went to vote at about 10:00. I was the only voter in the building, so it was a quick trip. I went to the grocery store for some fresh fruits and veggies, and came home to spend the rest of the day indoors. I finally showered after noon. I vacuumed my bedroom and cleaned my bathroom. That's the extent of the work I did. I'm in sweats, and it's been a low-key and relaxing day. Dinner should only take about 30 minutes to prepare, and I'll start that as soon as I finish writing.

Any Jericho fans out there? I love that show! It was canceled last season, but thanks to the fans, the network was persuaded to release the un-aired episodes. It's on at 10:00 tonight, after my bedtime. No DVR here, so I'll have to catch up later. Jericho and Lost are my favorite shows. The writer's strike has been on so long that I don't even remember what else I like!

The news is on in the background. The interstate highways are a parking lot because of the freezing rain. Ten and twenty car pileups. I'm so glad I'm safe and sound in my warm and smelly (in a good way) house. And with that thought, I'm off to cook.

Later!

21 comments:

Ilene said...

...and I'm glad I left before that wintry weather came. I love the south!

Lena said...

A snowy icy night here. I am thinking it could be a snow day tomorrow and I may be home all day. If so I am going to try to do some baking,too.

Snow days are good for somethings!
Lena

SOUL said...

i had to laugh at the wii story-- i though of my little (at the time) nephews jumping up and down, years ago, playing the original mario brothers on nintendo..funny stuff.

i can't stand garlic in potatoes but roasted garlic does smell--and taste good.

no one got a day off here to vote btw. but they do get to leave work if they want to vote, but have to go back.

anyhow-- catcha latah

Brad said...

I wish I could have been stuck on a snow day with you and roasted garlic (one of my fav's)

I'll hve to go look up Jericho- missed that one so far.

And thank the lord ! The writers strife is nearly over !!!!

Look for email from me sweets- Hope you had a wram snuggly night.

Jay said...

I always find it amazing when states close schools for election day. I really don't know why they do that. Cause their gyms are being used as polling places? Maybe that's it.

Around here the only thing they do is close the liquor stores. Seriously, no liquor sales on election day.

bonnie said...

Wow, horrible weather. glad you're making the best of it..I'm also glad I'm HERE. Wish you had come too. It's a fun place.

Andrew said...

Cheryl, me and you have the same Sony TV. I thought you would like to know that. I ordered mine over the internet from Crutchfield.

bonnie said...

Lick the sink? You're awesome, dude.

Moohaa said...

Sounds like a great day. I love lost and Jericho. I was totally bummed when it went off, but when it came back, we cheered. But since we had the cable turned off, we'll have to wait til it comes out on dvd.

Take care and stay safe!
Hoping you are sleeping soundly right now...

Jamie said...

I'm happy that you were in your (smelly)house, too. I hate the winter driving conditions lately, ugh!

I am really proud of you for trying to master the skill of video games. I have always felt that my generation was born without that gene that makes us any good at hand/eye coordination. At least, that is my excuse.

Have a really good day today - I hope your weather has lightened up, and that getting around is easier for you this morning. :)

beachgirl said...

Hi Cheryl,
I'm sorry your weather is so nasty. We are having the Florida version of yours. Rain, thunder, gusty winds, tornado warnings. One more day and we clear up for the Miami boat show that starts tomorrow. Then I get busy for 5 days of non stop driving. I'm just glad the weather will be nice for the show.
Stay dry and safe. On days like yours I would always make chili. Thats my cold weather meal.

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

HAHAH! Isn't she, BON?
I love that as its so "unCheryllike" but we all have our alter egos that's for sure!!

Cheryl, I have yet to play wii mainly because then I'll really lose my husband to the tv with his love for the screen, HD, sports,..blah blah blah blah...

The weather is awful out, thank goodness there were days off.
Why is that,by the way? Jackson has monday off, for Presidents day, but didn't have off last tuesday for super duper election day in chicago...go figure..I wonder who makes up these rules.

Happy Wednesday! I took your advice, and found a genie (nettie pot) Man, was IT WIERD!!!!!!!!!

Loxe,
Elizabeth

Billy said...

After a crazy work week, I finally got to cook last night. I made smothered beef steaks in mushroom gravy over hot steamed rice. Yumm-O!

Mary said...

Hope you're safely tucked in at home until conditions outside are better. From here it sounds like you have a real ice storm on your plate.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to get a second controller so that you and Emily can play together. That is what makes the Wii so much fun!

Normally I would not think of myself as a Golf person, but the Wii golf is a lot of fun, especially when you are playing with someone else.

Yum,yum the food sounds good!
Take care
P

marykay said...

What a great way to spend your day off. Safe in your home playing Wii we have not joined the club yet. I am still holding out.

Gin said...

They don't close anything around here on election day!!

Sounds like Wii is fun! And great exercise!!

Have a good day!

Mo said...

So proud of you for braving the weather to vote!

I wanna come hang out at your house. You had my kind of day!

Moohaa said...

Hope you are well. Have a good day tomorrow! Happy Valentines!

Jamie said...

How was your day yesterday, did you weather improve?

We are in line for ice today, just what we need more of, eh?

Have a really great Thursday, and I want to thank you for all your kind and caring comments recently. You really are a very special lady, one I am proud to call my friend.

Summer said...

I really love your Mii picture. Perfect for you!

Post a Comment

I love comments!