28 November 2008

The day after

Happy Holiday Weekend. I'm sitting still but feeling overwhelmed just thinking about what needs to get done this weekend. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with our large family. There were 37 of us, with only 2 missing from the usual group. My sister Ilene in GA hosts her family and unfortunately, we never spend the holidays together. My cousin David and his wife Kate graciously host Thanksgiving in their large and beautiful home. Everyone contributes a dish. I brought my baked pineapple. This year I carved 3 turkeys! They order them from Omaha Steaks, and they're simply the best. Each one is about 13 pounds, so they're really easy to carve. As usual, I'll share some pictures.














I ate way too much. Not so much the dinner, but the desserts. Why didn't I just take them home with me? I came home and sat on the couch in a stupor till it was time for bed.

This is the first year in memory that I won't be going to the Frederick Craft Show. I just don't need anything. Last year I was out of the house at 3:30 AM for my first Black Friday shopping, but not this year. It's going to be 54 degrees today, and I must trim all my huge hedges so I can put lights on. I need to get a lot of holiday decorating done. I need to find a recipe for turkey soup. And I need to get off the couch.

Enjoy your day, whatever you do!

13 comments:

bonnie said...

Wait! Is that boy eating a computer for dinner. I thought I was bad. We had a big family dinner as well. With all the flaws, it was wonderful.

happyone said...

Sounds like a great day. Nice house!!!!
I'm going outside in a little while to try and finish raking the leaves. I've put it off long enough!!

KathyA said...

Their home is gorgeous and the meal sounds great.
I'm headed to the gym, the library, and Costco for gas.

Rick Rockhill said...

37 people??? Wow that is a crowd. Nice house they have too. Try not to stress out with your "to do" list...

Anonymous said...

How fun to have that many people sharing a feast together!

I was just thinking to myself that Thanksgiving wasn't so much about the turkey as it was about the dessert!

beachgirl said...

That dinner looks impressive. How many tables did you have set up?
We had a quiet dinner with me and the kids. Peaceful. Nice.
Today was the gym followed by the beach. It was gorgeous. 78 and sunny.
Have a fun weekend. I am starting with lights and the tree this weekend.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

We were with a small group compared to you, six other adults, two children, one seven-week-old baby. It was fun.

Gin said...

We had 16 at my sister's house. She has a huge house and lots of room. It was great!

Sounds (and looks) like you had a great time too. I still want to know how to do a baked pineapple!

Email me if you can

gindee77 at hotmail dot com

ellesu said...

It looks as if you had a lovely day. I miss the big family gatherings we had as I was growing up. Was that a picture of a "childrens' table?" I sat a the childrens' table at my grandmom's until I married and then I graduated to the inbetween table (I guess you'd call it). I never made it to the bonafied grown-up table.

Moohaa said...

Sounds like a great time! What a lovely house, I love the pics. Enjoy your day! I hope you get everything done that you want to!

Lena said...

The house is so beautiful... just right for a big family affair.

I laughed when I saw the boy with his laptop. I made my husband come and look. He knows if I had my way, I would do the same. LoL...

Andrew said...

Cheryl,

I got your card today!!!! Thank you so much for the kind words and support. I think you are one of the best things that has happened to me while I have been blogging. Let's hope I can try quitting smoking next and succeed like you did! Happy Holidays!

jAMiE said...

It looks like you had a wonderful thanksgiving, full of yummy food and lots of family and friends. Our family never gets together...but i always think it's wonderful when families do.

Post a Comment

I love comments!